Things To Do In December
1. Hurry up and finish any pending plant protecting tasks! Ditto for statuary and other articles left outdoors.
2. Complete mulching all plants.
3. Drain out all outdoor water pipes. Store hoses properly.
4. Keep bird feeders filled.
5. Keep on top of watering plants in greenhouse and/or house. Stay vigilant for signs of pests or disease.
6. Set aside seed and plant catalogs for making plans for next year’s growing seasons.
7. Archive garden photos taken through this year. They will come in handy when you plan and design for next year.
8. Enjoy paperwhites, amaryllis bulbs indoors.
9. Make use of this down time and relax!
The list above is my general to-do of garden related tasks for December. This year however, planting of bulbs and sowing poppy seeds got delayed due to unusually mild days in November. I hope everyone has also completed all necessary planting and sowing by now.
While #9 says to relax, I’m actually in the thick of reorganizing various areas/rooms of the house. It requires working systematically and getting the cooperation and compliance of the family. The latter is harder to achieve than the former. The ones who are chiefly responsible for creating disorder are also the ones who cannot see the need to do any organizing. Oh brother!
And then there’s the matter of the Holidays. Whether its going to be low-key, over the top or anywhere in-between, there’s still a call for doing something. I believe we must celebrate in some manner. As the year draws to a conclusion, its a blessing to gather with family and friends – remember how it felt in 2020 when we were unable to do that? The decorations with natural materials like evergreens, dried flowers, pine cones, acorns, other seed heads, moss, branches and such keeps us connected to Nature and the paperwhites and amaryllis flowering indoors remind us of the promise of spring. How cheering it is to have candles, twinkly lights and fireplaces aglow – warming and brightening our homes and hearts.
This is a time for gratitude and grace. As a firm believer in celebrating everything big or small, doesn’t the fact that we’ve together completed yet another circuit around the sun surely deserves to be honored.
I have indeed completed that aforementioned list so, relax I shall. With a sense of joy and place. Well ensconced amidst the happy chaos of celebrating.. The spirit of the Season prevails.
(c) 2022 Shobha Vanchiswar